Friday 11 January 2013

Work call out


I haven't told you yet what I do for work have I?

Well for the last 17 years I've been flying as cabin crew/air hostess for a well known airline. I say cabin crew/air hostess cause to be fair it really depends on who you're talking to. I have absolutely no hang up about what other people call my job having started flying at a time when we were 'air hostesses', not 'cabin crew' and certainly not 'flight attendants'. Some people refuse to be associated with the title 'air hostess' but when you live in a town, like I do, where the vast majority of the population are over 70 years old they wouldn't even know what 'cabin crew' meant, but say 'air hostess' and they're right there with you. So for me I'm an air hostess and that's what I've been doing for so many years that I'm sure my car would get there on it's own if I let it.

It's not a job I've ever wanted to do as I was growing up and at times I'm not sure it's a job I particularly like all that much (for reasons other than the actual job) but over the years its been harder and harder to get out of purely because of the lifestyle and the perks. Its a great job if you want to travel and see the world but not a great job for your social life, love life and sex life and perhaps when I think about it, it's part of the reason why I'm in the situation I am now.

My first appointment at a different clinic is on 17th January but today work called to see if I'm available to do a couple of nights trip to Portsmouth, US. It's only a couple of days away but typically, sods law it's right over my aunts birthday and the first appointment with the first clinic. So what to do?!

The thing is I'm so keen to get started now I've made the decision that I'm really reluctant to miss this appointment but seeing as I've bought up the lack of longhaul so much recently with my boss I don't feel I can say no, yet I've waited a while already for an appointment and if I cancel this one I'll have to wait again but then I also have an appointment already booked with the second clinic for 21st January, a few days later. So apart from missing my aunts birthday which is disappointing, other than that all it means is I'll be going to a different clinic first than the one I thought....fate perhaps?

It's off to Portsmouth then.......now to pack......it's freezing in Portsmouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment