Monday 21 January 2013

My first appointment at a new clinic


This morning was my first appointment at a different clinic with a different doctor and I was apprehensive but as well in a word I found it encouraging.

Arriving at the clinic I was kinda surprised and maybe a bit taken back to find it appeared to be some rooms on the top floor of a four storey office block. I was expecting an all singing all dancing clinic it being in Brighton and from first impressions it doesn't seem like it.
Fortunately four flights of steps up and its a very different story. As I step into the waiting area I'm faced with a very welcoming, calm and friendly area. The colour scheme is very calming and relaxing which is a good thing as I'm a bag of nerves, I don't really know what to expect but I'm really hoping for some miracles today. :-)

My doctor is a nice but quiet woman who seems very capable and I'm hoping really knows her stuff!
Despite having a good feeling about her she has actually confused me a little by talking about antral follicles and saying that if I didn't have many follicles then I would have a better chance of success with 2 or 3 goes at DIUI (donor insemination). That really confused me as I was under the understanding that my only hope was with IVF and it was very little hope at that, even with the best of drugs available. I guess that's why I'm not a fertility doctor though huh?! :-)

I gave my doctor the notes I'd managed to get from the the first clinic I visited, which wasn't a lot to be honest. I tried a couple of times to get my notes before success and even then there wasn't any in
depth notes. There was nothing in the notes about the amount of antral follicles that were found first time round which was annoying and meant I had to have the scan done all over again. But apart from the extra cost of it I'm glad that they are as there may well be some different results. The doctor also wanted to retest my AMH as well as testing for my FSH the later of which my first clinic didn't do so that's a good thing.

I had more blood tests done there and then as fortunately the timing worked out well with my cycle and they were also able to do a scan for me as well which revealed two follicles on one side and six on the other. The one side isn't so great but the other was very encouraging after all I am nearly 40 now! So now I have to wait another two weeks before I have another appointment to find out all the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment